To put your site on your live domain, it is a 2 step process:
- Edit the setting of your domain with your domain registrar (Godaddy, NameCheap, etc). See STEP 1 below for instructions on how to do this.
- Update your domain in Domain Manager
Option 1: Point your Nameservers (preferred method)
- Log in to your account with your domain registrar (godaddy, or wherever you purchased your domain)
- Change the nameservers to the following:
NOTE: If you have any email addresses currently set up and receiving email at this domain name, please let us know the MX records settings of your email provider (assuming you want to keep using the same provider) so we can make the appropriate adjustments to insure your email is routed properly. If you want to start using us as your email provider, also please let us know so we can pass on the setup information for your email accounts.
Example: How to point nameservers with Godaddy
To point the nameservers of your GoDaddy domain to Brilliant Directories, please do the following:
- Log in to your Account Manager on Godaddy.com
- Next to Domains, click Launch
- Select the domain name(s) you want to modify
- From the Nameservers menu, select Set Nameservers
- Under Setup type, select Custom
- Select Add Nameservers
- Enter the two nameservers your hosting provider gave you:ns1.directorysecure.com & ns2.directorysecure.com
If you are having any issues getting this done, you can call their 24/7 support line at: (480) 505-8877.
Option 2: Change the A record of your domain or subdomain in your DNS settings (alternative method)
- Submit a ticket asking which IP address you should point your A record to.
- Once you have this information from our support team, log in to your account with your domain registrar (godaddy, etc)
Change the A record of your domain (or your subdomain if the directory is going to be on a subdomain of your existing site) the IP address provided by our staff.
- The Brilliant Directories team will update the server settings so your site displays on your live domain
NOTE: If you choose to use this method, your current email addresses will continue to function as they do now through their current setup. This is often a good option if you have an existing site and the current email accounts must not see any interruption in service whatsoever.
Example: How to edit A records in Godaddy
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Next to Domains, click Launch.
- From the DNS menu, select DNS Manager, and then click Edit Zone for the domain name you want to update.
- In the A (Host) section, click the A record you want to edit.
- Edit any of the following fields:
- Host — Enter the host name the A record links to. Type @ to map the record directly to your domain name, including the www.
- Points to — Enter the IP address your domain name uses for this host record.
- TTL — Select how long the server should cache the information.
- Click Save Zone File, and then click OK.
Connecting Your Domain
Go to SETTINGS >> DOMAIN MANAGER
Add your domain in the "Set New Primary Domain" box. Please note that if you are adding a primary domain you will need to add the "www." even if you plan on setting your website as a non-www website. If you are using a subdomain you must not add the "www." If for any reason you forget this information, the system will not allow you to proceed until you've entered the domain correctly:
Once you have entered your domain with the proper format you will be asked to add it in the "Confirm Domain" box:
Once you've complete that final step you may proceed to click on "Add Domain"
You will be prompted by the system to confirm that you would like to proceed:
Click on "Yes, update domain".
Your website is now live. You can confirm that your domain is live all around the world by using this free 3rd party tool: https://geopeeker.com