Start a new topic
Answered

Need help with 301, 404 Redirection issues...

Hi all,

I'd greatly appreciate ANY assistance from my fellow directory owners with the following issue...

BACKGROUND

One of the services, we've been offering to our clients is Custom Mini-Websites to which they can link their domain name. We've been doing this since last November without issue.

Recently, a few weeks ago, we started noticing strange links appearing in the search results (see image below).

SEEKING A RESOLUTION

My initial instinct was that this was due to something with the directory platform. I created a ticket, went back and forth with the BD team but that led nowhere - the final response was

"I am not certain what is happening with those 3rd party domains. We can service your website, but are not able to service websites that do not use our services. I have no  way to verify what their SEO settings are, or have access to any of their information."

At this point I contact the domain registrar for these domains and within a couple days got the following response: 

"Our developers have reviewed the URL cloaking feature and have not found any issue at our end.

The Google crawler is finding these URLs inside Javascript files used by the sites, and when crawling these URLs via the domain cloaked URL they are getting a valid 200 header back to point to your homepage because you are doing 301 redirect to your homepage for not-found URLs rather than a 404 header. As a result, the URLs are being seen as valid and being added to the Google index."

This response made sense. So I created a Custom 404 page (http://ibefound.com/404) and added the following to the .htaccess file via the back office: ErrorDocument 404 /404

Then I tried to test with an obviously non-existent page: http://ibefound.com/nosuchpageexists but I keep being redirected to the home page and not to the Custom 404 page.

Has any had success redirecting to a 404 page?

Thanks in advance for any ideas that can lead to a resolution of this issue.

Dahlian (aka Dale)

Best Answer

Hi Dahlian, 

You can change the 404 Error Page link in the Advanced Setting you do not need to edit the HTACESS.

Please follow these steps:  

1. Navigate to Settings >> Advanced Settings >> and in the search bar please type: "404".

2. You'll see the option: Default 404 Error Page.

3. Please type the permalink where you want to redirect the error page.

For example: what-we-do (this is one of your directory pages)

NOTE: You do not need to use the back slash at the beginning. 

Please let me know if you have any question.

It is always a pleasure to help you! :) 

Hi Dahlian,

Thank you for your message. 

Jeff answered these questions through the Ticket System. 

I'll leave this post open so you can get answer from the people in the Community.

Thank you! :) 

Hi Luana,

At this point, my concern is being able to get my 404 page to show instead of being sent to the homepage. Usually, this requires just one line of code in the .HTACCESS file but that does not seem to be working here.

Hoping that someone in the Community can help out.

Dahlian

Answer

Hi Dahlian, 

You can change the 404 Error Page link in the Advanced Setting you do not need to edit the HTACESS.

Please follow these steps:  

1. Navigate to Settings >> Advanced Settings >> and in the search bar please type: "404".

2. You'll see the option: Default 404 Error Page.

3. Please type the permalink where you want to redirect the error page.

For example: what-we-do (this is one of your directory pages)

NOTE: You do not need to use the back slash at the beginning. 

Please let me know if you have any question.

It is always a pleasure to help you! :) 

Thank you Luana!!!

This is a GIANT step forward! I have updated the 404 setting per your instructions and it is working exactly as desired.

Luana, I've been observing your customer service skills since BD started the original community forum, and I have ALWAYS been absolutely impressed with your responses. You and Luis Alvarado are EXCEPTIONAL at customer service.

Sometimes, I've felt brushed off by other members of the BD support team but I've NEVER got that sense from you or from Luis.

Keep up the great work!!! ...and thank you once again!

Dahlian

Hi Dahlian, 

Our pleasure! :) 

Please fell free to ask any question in the Community. 

We are happy to help you and thank you for your kind words. 

Thanks again! :) 

1 person likes this