Start a new topic
Answered

%profession% %service_name% on Custom SEO Settings #19 is still not working

See first topic: http://support.brilliantdirectories.com/support/discussions/topics/5000046747

I pulled this out because it deserves its own post

Luanna, %service_name% on Custom SEO Settings #19 is still not working

This represents a home page or advanced search by site visitor

Main Category

Sub-Category

Bread Crumb SEO setting on #19
%country_name% > %city_name% > %profession% > %service_name% > %full_name%

The Main Category is not displaying. So apparently the %service_name% shortcode was fixed but now %profession% is not working

Because this is what I get... Sub-category(%service_name%) repeated in BreadCrume  Meta Keywords and Meta Description

Home » Colorado » denver » Adult Residential » Adult Residential » Miracle Rehab Treatment

You can see %profession% > %service_name% gives the same value

What I truly want is to clear all my confusion over Top Category and Sub-Category shortcodes! My gosh we have all the subjective naming schemes

I want this to be Main Category » Sub-Category
Home » Colorado » denver » Drug Rehab » Adult Residential »

Best Answer

Hi Jan, 

Thank you for your feedback. 

Luis is testing the information and updating the shortcodes list. 

As soon as it is completed we will post it.

I know that you want the list now because this is really important. However we care about every member and we want to give you the right information and the complete description of how the shortcodes work and where to use them. 

Thanks!! :) 

Hi Jan, 

I just tested and you're right. The Top level category is not being respected on the breadcrumb.

I created a ticket for you.

We will let you know as soon as is fixed. 

Thanks! :) 

Thank you.  Part of my confusion and this issue is

%service% or %service_name%

Luis is referring to %service% in several older posts.  What would be really good is your Table Format cheat sheet documentation on short codes, Luanna

And as a person with past experience in development, you should not wait on this simple step.  You can take the initiative and create a table with Column One containing all the known short codes. Then Get together with your programmers and ask them for the Column 2 and 3

Column1 - shortcode
Column2 - key variable in database ( example full_name  used in <?=$user[full_name]?>
Column3 - Locations where used.  name the Custom SEO ID#'s ,  Widgets ID#'s

You can do this in a few hours and it will help everyone right now and not weeks from now

Thanks in advance.

Hi Jan, 

I hope you are doing well. I wanted to let you know that the following issue on your site has been resolved.

• Sub-category(%service_name%) is repeated in BreadCrumb Meta Keywords and Meta Description. 

Before: 

After: 

Please let me know if the problem persists or if there is anything else we can assist you with. We are always happy to help. 

Thank you,

Thanks for your reply, Luanna.  Sean and Christopher Roche should be happy to know this too.  This is the exact same issue in there complaints for last 6 weeks.  I suggest you contact them to see if the FaceBook posts are picking up the correct data now instead of displaying %service_name% on facebook.

And please keep all these shortcodes and key variables on the Front Agenda.  These are both bread and butter for any attempt at chaning SEO, and in how page display renders on Membership Features and Webpages.  And documentation is sorely needed. Will save support many headaches and make our communication easier when we are all talking about the same item.  Many people were trying %service%

Thanks again.And Please do not let this shortcode issue fall thru the cracks.  No one from support has commented on this yet

Meta Tags for SEO and Local Search Geo Coding : Brilliant Directories
Read More... http://support.brilliantdirectories.com/support/discussions/topics/5000046747

Hi Jan, 

Thank you for your comment and suggestions. 

We are working in our Documentation and we're definitely adding this important information, so variables will be easier to understand and everybody will know where and how to use them. 

Also we'll be contacting Christopher and Sean about this issue. 

Hi Luana

If i use %profession% in me SEO settings, the top level category displays (eg. for my site, it would be either "law firm" or "legal aid"). Which is fine.

But what code do i use to display the following variable?: 

Hi Chris, your screenshot is at the Settings for the entire site.  The Profession Name there is entirely different in the shortcodes.  Whatever you enter therein Settings is used on your Home page and other areas.  "This website is a about Lawyers(Profession Name) in the Legal Area(Industry Name

What determines %profession% for SEO code is what the member selects for his/her Main Category.  You find this on  Contact Details

And that is restricted to Main Categories as a drop down

The shortcode for SEO is this %profession%. Which in your Case is whatever you have for Main Categories on your site that a member selects.

this is SEO #19 for local search to make search engines happy. Just make meta description using short codes and ordinary text to fit for your site

T: %City% %Profession% - %company% - %Service_name% %state% %zipcode% (68 characters)
K: %profession%,%city_name%,%service_name%, %full_name%,%company%,%Location%,%trade%,%field%,%industry%

This kind of confusion is the unfortunate result of the early naming scheme the coders adopeted for BD platform.  It would have been way better to have used %main_category% and %sub-category% for all these hiearchy variables for seo and navigation.

And by the way, your reviews shortcodes %profession% should be working now for the facebook SEO... if you have the shortcodes in the facebook meta properly done. Those custom seo settings become the og meta tags in View Source for each page

Hi Christopher, 

About the image you attached on "Sat, 18 Apr at 5:42 PM". We updated the variables and now you can use profession_name and website_profession.

profession_name: Top Level Category. 

website_profession: Profession on your settings. 

I tested and it's working fine for me. Could you please test it on your site and give us your feedback.

nice to have this %website_profession%

Is this global Luana and will work on all pages as well as seo settings?

Really looking forward to full documentation on shortcodes and key variables.  Turns out those are the most useful in customizing display and SEO. 

1 person likes this

Hi Jan, 

Yes, this change applies for all directories.

Could you please test it too and give us your valuable feedback? 

We're working in all variables documentation, where and how to use them. We will let you know as soon as this project is completed. 

Hi Chris, we have also done the required changes in order for the yoursite.com/reviews to work. Additionally we did some fixes not only on 19, but also on 100, 101 and a couple of others. they should all be pointing to the correct place. We would appreciate when you have the time, to test this, since the final word comes from you.

Luana, yes this %website_profession% is working for seo settings

Luis, please please send some documentation on shortcodes, even it its not totally finished. And I hope you've used a table format.  Keeping up with shortcodes and all the places they Live and display is just too large... it's got to be in reference table or we are going to struggle as we did on this thread.

Thanks

1 person likes this
Answer

Hi Jan, 

Thank you for your feedback. 

Luis is testing the information and updating the shortcodes list. 

As soon as it is completed we will post it.

I know that you want the list now because this is really important. However we care about every member and we want to give you the right information and the complete description of how the shortcodes work and where to use them.