Start a new topic
Answered

Meta Tags for SEO and Local Search Geo Coding

SEO for Directory Sites

Previously only Bing paid attention to geo tagging for SEO.  That specifically means that a search engine looks for certain identifying meta tags in the <HEAD> section of a page and for a website to determine location

Now, Google is also looking at geo-tags for indexing and ranking for Local Search.

First, here's what I'm talking about

<meta name="dcterms.title" content="Any/Out-of-network Insurance Therapist in Palm Beach, Florida 33409 (FL)">
<meta name="dcterms.coverage" content="123 Main St, Palm Beach, Florida (FL)">

<meta name=”zipcode” content=”33409″>
<meta name="geo.placename" content="Palm Beach, Florida 33409 (FL)">
<meta name="geo.region" content="US-FL">
<meta name="geo.position" content="43.251306;-77.613646" />

All of this could be done by BD right now with %shortcodes%

dcterms.title = Whatever is between <title> </title>

dcterms.coverage = whatever your shortcodes are %address%, %city% %zip% %ST%

Same for the rest.  Whatever the member has in user_data is what would merge into the proper token.  With your Geo Coding feature that adds the latitude and longitude... so make %% shortcodes for that.

<meta name="geo.region" content="US-FL">

This specific meta tag is very important because this value is from the API Google uses for Adwords Location.  This is what will become the standard in organic search. Again, BD will already have these Country Codes and State/province Codes in the database... so its just merge.  If you care to learn more about this  Geo Targeting for google developers  you can download the entire country data in csv

Local search is making Google billions in adwords revenue and get-tagging was intrinsic there so the engineers have moved Geo Tagging up in priority for organic search. 

Same "We Do Good" reason google always has, Local Search means the user wants only local results.  Google needs to please their users. And Tags are specific.

Denver pizza coupons
Cherry Creek Denver pizza coupons

Lodo Pizza places coupons

The only way to be sure is to code meta tags and the search engines now want to see thyem

dc.terms

this is mostly used by mobile devices, so duplicating the same data value is Okay and that's the reason for having dc tags.  DC is important because of the huge surge in mobile devices that rely on meta tags for maps, photos, rss, within their native apps and browsers

BD Support Staff Request

If anyone can write up an explanation for finding the proper short codes for these values and tell me where to place the meta tag/shortcode for all website pages... it would be much appreciated

Best Answer
I can get this done now myself, Luana.  It is very important.  Can you provide the codes I need to merge in correct data?  This can be placed in Website Main or Website Head widget and be working right away.  If you can provide me with the proper codes

this format using key variables  <?=$page[title]?>
What are they for the following

city
state
zip
latitude
longitude

<meta name="geo.region" content="US-%ST%">

<meta name="dcterms.title" content="<?=$page[title]?> (%ST%)">
<meta name="dcterms.coverage" content="%city%, %state% (%St%)">
<meta name="country" content="%country_name%" />
<meta name="city" content="%city%" />
<meta name="state" content="%state%" />
<meta name="geo.placename" content="="%city%, %state% %zipcode% (%ST%) ">
<meta name="geo.position" content="%latitude%;%longitude" />
<meta name="ICBM" content="%latitude%;%longitude" />

3 people have this question

This is an important issue as most of our directories are in very competitive markets. I am still having trouble getting the %service_name% to resolve for url's and Meta Titles and Descriptions.

Geoff 

Luanna,  %service_name% on Custom SEO Settings #19 is still not working

Bread Crumb
%country_name% > %city_name% > %profession% > %service_name% > %full_name%

Home » Colorado » denver » Adult Residential » Adult Residential » Miracle Rehab Treatment

You can see %profession% > %service_name%  gives the same value

What I truly want is to clear all my confusion over Top Category and Sub-Category shortcodes!  My gosh we have all the subjective naming schemes

I want this to be Top Category » Sub-Category
Home » Colorado » denver » Drug Rehab » Adult Residential »

Why?  Because mobile devices use them.  Bing swears by them.  google is now moving these into their indexing for ranking local search keywords. 
Search -  Interior Designers Aurora
Then search  -  Interior Designers Aurora 80015

I've tried myself to troubleshoot this issue by modifying
Head - Website Meta widget

That won't work because shortcodes won't work on these Head widgets
This does work inside the Widget <meta name="dcterms.title" content="<?=$page[title]?>" />

This  <?=$page[title]?>  comes from the shortcode data in #19 Custom SEO settings.  title

to implement these geo Tags you have three choices that I can see... Your coders can hard-code these globally on all webpages in the platform.  And that's a good option.  The data would populate when its available. 

Second you can add these SEO settings to Custom SEO setting for each meta tag.  But might not be a good option. As it would be necessary to add these to numerous page SEO settings

Three you can give me the proper php key variables for each data field
Like this one pulls the seo <?=$page[title]?>, give me php that will pull country, city, state, zip code, etcetera

Best option is just hard code them.  And please address a shortcode and variable for the two letter state codes.  That is what google uses for API in adwords and mobile
country code-state code

Bump. Bump.

Hi Jan, 

Thanks for this helpful information, we are also looking into making this easier to understand.

@Geoff: Jan's advise is very good, in the future we will be making some enhancements to make this more intuitive.

Thank you and have a great weekend!! :) 

Answer
I can get this done now myself, Luana.  It is very important.  Can you provide the codes I need to merge in correct data?  This can be placed in Website Main or Website Head widget and be working right away.  If you can provide me with the proper codes

this format using key variables  <?=$page[title]?>
What are they for the following

city
state
zip
latitude
longitude

This would be very helpful. Thanks.

Bump again.  Luana I'm happy to try doing this right now using php instead of shortcodes.  Please ask the  coders what to use to merge in the data in my examples.

I need to pull data Now... from the Search parameters.  Somebody in the coding group can provide this now.

When Advanced Search or Browse is performed by a site visitor, this data is there... My question is just how do I code a custom meta tag so it pulls these values from Advanced Search
City, State, Zip Code

Advanced Search
- Selects one main Category
- Selects one sub-category
- Enters City and State and/or Zip Code

The only thing I ask for now is the KeyVariable or whatever PHP code will pull the following

City
State
Zip Code

Hi Jan, 

Thank you for your message. 

Any field that is inputted into the advanced search with the field name "location_value" can be referenced by the KeyVariable ($_REQUEST[location_value]).

For a breakdown of each location you can use the KeyVariable $profs. I recommend doing a <?=print_r($profs)?> to see what keywords and locations are in this array. If you are not finding the City, State or Zip Code please send us the URL of the search results so then our team can review it and provide you with the correct KeyVariable for your needs.

Let me know if you have further questions :)

Thanks, Luana. Wish we had gotten started on this from the git-go

Report.  I am adding these codes to Widget:  Website Meta Head

1) Yes, these both work to print Location
<?=print_r($_REQUEST[location_value])?>
<?php echo ($_REQUEST[location_value])?>

2) Print profs delivered these variables. However, not a single one of them will work with echo, print, page post or any other php call to display the variable data. IOW, this does not work. Even though you see it print the value in the test
<?php echo ($_REQUEST[country_name])?>
Try it and see what you get?

<!-- print profs here -->
<!--
Array
(
[country_name] => Colorado
[new_filename] => %country_name%/%city_name%/%service_name%/%profession%
[city_name] => Denver
[profession] => Drug Rehab
[profession_id] => 2
[service_name] => Adult Residential
[service_id] => 14
)
-->

Hi Jan, 

We try it using echo $profs[variable]; 

Please test it and let us know if we're in the same page :) 

<?php

echo $profs[country_name];

echo $profs[new_filename];

echo $profs[city_name];

echo $profs[profession];

echo $profs[profession_id];

echo $profs[service_name];

echo $profs[service_id];

?>

I left the new code in your widget, you can remove it when you want, I just wanted to see it how it works.

Thanks! :) 

Hi Luana, Thanks for all your help with this issue.  I contacted Luis, and with his patience and skills we got to the solution using code for the available profs.

I urge you to contact Luis and get aquainted with the code.  These meta tags are rocket fuel for ranking local pages, which are all pages on a Directory.

And I strongly recommend you and Luis taking this to your coder team, this should be hard-coded into the platform for everyone's benefit.  Once done its done.  Working with Luis, we got this down to different sets of Geo Meta tags to fit both the search_results? pages and each Member's listing page.  Once set of code does both.

Thanks,
Jan

Hi Jan

Is there any chance you could document what i need to do to implement in my sight as I don't believe I have all the treads of this conversation. Is the current "Website Meta Head" widget correct and where or how can I use the widget.

Tanks Geoff

Hi Geoff, I am still fine-tuning this so the Geo Tags display correctly on both search results pages and member profile pages.  Its actually different variables and data.

With Many Thanks to Luis, I have the basic code down now.

When you start editing the main widgets such as Website Meta... it's easy to make a mistake and break the code and even take the page down.  So I really don't want to publish this code here in forum.  That's a decision for Luis and Luana.

Let's do it this way, I'll have this settled into a groove in a few days of testing. Then I suggest you do a support ticket to Luis or Luana privately. They have access to the widget code and can give you the final code after they review it

Cheers,
Jan.