Start a new topic
Answered

Commenting Widget

I see that the system includes both a Disqus and a Facebook commenting widget.  Can anyone tell me how to set it up so that either/or will show up on all pages, listings, events, etc etc?

Best Answer

Hi Bo, this answer is similar to the one I have send you to your email. Here is how it works with Disqus. I selected Disqus because it basically connects to many social sites, instead of only one (Like in the Facebook comments). To start we need to do the following:

1. Create a Disqus Account at disqus.com

2. We then go through the Disqus setup until we get to the page about Adding Disqus to a Site. For me it was in the Gear icon on the Disqus site as seen in the image below:

3. After clicking on the Add Disqus To Site link, you should be taken to a form where you can add your sites name (Not URL, just a general name to represent your site on the Disqus platform) and what the site is used for (Disqus Category).

4. After finishing the form and accepting you should see several platforms that can be used for Disqus, but the first one called Universal Code, is the one you need (As seen on the image below). Click on it and a script code should be shown. Copy the whole script code. Up to here is where you need Disqus to help you. Now we proceed on your BD site.

5. Depending on where you want to show the Disqus Commenting System is where you would put the code into place. If you are planning on adding Disqus to any of the Membership Features, then skip Step 5 and jump to step 6. In this example, for my case, Ninja BD is a new testing site I am using as of right now for the purpose of doing my own testing without doing it on your site. If you click on the link you will see the Disqus Commenting System integrating perfectly with the BD system. I selected to show the Disqus on all Articles, so I went on my Backend Dashboard to Members -> Membership Features. Then I selected Articles and clicked on Edit. From there I went to the Details Page Settings section and on the Page Layout text area (There should be some code there), at the end of the code I pasted the script code I copied from the Disqus site. Save it and that's it.

6. The example mentioned above on step 5 is for other parts of the system that are not in the Membership Features. If the part of your system you wish to add the Disqus Commenting system is a Membership Features, then there is no need to add it on the specific place I mentioned on Step 5. All Membership Features offer an option at the end called Commenting Code. This is the option where you paste the code you got from Disqus, Facebook or any other Social commenting system. It will automatically integrate with the BD system. In the following link you can see an Event using the Commenting code by simply adding the corresponding Disqus code to the Commenting Code box.

With this, you now have a fully functional Disqus system for all of your Articles. You can keep on pasting the Disqus code anywhere on your site to enable it on that particular part of the site.

To manage all Disqus comments, you can do that from your Disqus Admin panel on the Disqus Site.

If you can test this and let me know how it went, that would be awesome and if you find a bump, let me know so I can give you a helping hand.

Hi Bo, let me see what I can do buddy, but could it be possible for you to explain to me what you mean by "set it up so that either/or will show up on all pages, listings, events, etc etc?". Am having trouble with it. Thank you ^^.

Hi Luis:  I found the two widgets, one of facebook comments and one for disqus commenting system.  I'm wondering if it's possible to activate either one, for example the facebook commenting widget, so that it shows up whenever ANY of the members write an article, or even publishes a classified ad, or event.  

In this screenshot, I've managed to add the facebook comment bar to the bottom of one of my article posts, but I had to do that individually, and am asking if it's possible to automatically insert that commenting bar into everything...

Or is this something I need to hire out to someone who can customize the site?

Thanks Luis

Answer

Hi Bo, this answer is similar to the one I have send you to your email. Here is how it works with Disqus. I selected Disqus because it basically connects to many social sites, instead of only one (Like in the Facebook comments). To start we need to do the following:

1. Create a Disqus Account at disqus.com

2. We then go through the Disqus setup until we get to the page about Adding Disqus to a Site. For me it was in the Gear icon on the Disqus site as seen in the image below:

3. After clicking on the Add Disqus To Site link, you should be taken to a form where you can add your sites name (Not URL, just a general name to represent your site on the Disqus platform) and what the site is used for (Disqus Category).

4. After finishing the form and accepting you should see several platforms that can be used for Disqus, but the first one called Universal Code, is the one you need (As seen on the image below). Click on it and a script code should be shown. Copy the whole script code. Up to here is where you need Disqus to help you. Now we proceed on your BD site.

5. Depending on where you want to show the Disqus Commenting System is where you would put the code into place. If you are planning on adding Disqus to any of the Membership Features, then skip Step 5 and jump to step 6. In this example, for my case, Ninja BD is a new testing site I am using as of right now for the purpose of doing my own testing without doing it on your site. If you click on the link you will see the Disqus Commenting System integrating perfectly with the BD system. I selected to show the Disqus on all Articles, so I went on my Backend Dashboard to Members -> Membership Features. Then I selected Articles and clicked on Edit. From there I went to the Details Page Settings section and on the Page Layout text area (There should be some code there), at the end of the code I pasted the script code I copied from the Disqus site. Save it and that's it.

6. The example mentioned above on step 5 is for other parts of the system that are not in the Membership Features. If the part of your system you wish to add the Disqus Commenting system is a Membership Features, then there is no need to add it on the specific place I mentioned on Step 5. All Membership Features offer an option at the end called Commenting Code. This is the option where you paste the code you got from Disqus, Facebook or any other Social commenting system. It will automatically integrate with the BD system. In the following link you can see an Event using the Commenting code by simply adding the corresponding Disqus code to the Commenting Code box.

With this, you now have a fully functional Disqus system for all of your Articles. You can keep on pasting the Disqus code anywhere on your site to enable it on that particular part of the site.

To manage all Disqus comments, you can do that from your Disqus Admin panel on the Disqus Site.

If you can test this and let me know how it went, that would be awesome and if you find a bump, let me know so I can give you a helping hand.