Start a new topic
Answered

Is It Possible To Add A Blog To Our Directories

Want to add a blog to my directory site without using Tumblr or any other such platform.

Could someone please point me in the right direction on how to correctly set this up please.

Eg: http://www.interiordesignpro.org/blog/

I would like it to function the same way as Interior Design Pro has theirs.

Regards
Darren

Best Answer

Hi guys, for what I have found it, Interior Design Pro was the first site, created by the owners of Brilliant Directories. It was the site that started it all. A lot of was learned from it. One of the ideas at the time was to implement a blog system with the site, but this became as time and effort would have it, very difficult to not only implement, but also maintain. So the decision early on was to avoid having to implement a blog system with the BD system. Some of the common reasons from experience were:

• The need to edit multiple PHP and JS files in order for the blog to be implemented correctly
  • The problem with receiving blog updates (Like Wordpress auto update feature) would always break the code since it would overwrite several PHP files.
  • Updates to the Blog would change the CSS style.
  • The Blog system would many times take the full browser windows size, so users would loose access to, for example, the main menu (Header or footer of their BD site).
  • Securing and keeping up to date the users information between the Wordpress user format and the BD user format was time consuming.
  • Security issues related to Wordpress would add up with any BD security issues (So we would need 2x the amount of developers)
  • Wordpress had several times more security issues than BD (Mostly based on amount used, popularity), but still it could cripple a BD site and maybe make the owner loose valuable members.
  • Adding a custom theme, custom plugin or new feature to Wordpress could potentially make both, the BD system and WP blog incompatible.
  • The amount of time it took to stay on top of Wordpress and always make it work with the BD site, even after an update, a plugin changed, a theme changed, etc.. was about more than 50x bigger than the amount of time it was needed to maintain the BD site.

This are not the only problems found when trying to do a full integration between both systems, but this leaves a member and us with a thought on what to also take into consideration when trying to merge both systems together (Did not know how much time and effort was put into this until you asked this question and I started researching with the team).

My suggestion for right now can be found on this link.

This is a way of easing into it and giving members an alternative options, easy to maintain, update, change and implement without causing too much trouble, headaches and whatnot. There is also the Tumblr way.

I would of course love your feedback on this and any ideas for the future. Thanks friend.

Hi Darren, let me get back to you on this one in a couple of hours.

Great thanks Luis much appreciated. If you could direct me how to the widgets positioned correctly ie Facebook w/Sidebar that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thx :)

Me too please.

Answer

Hi guys, for what I have found it, Interior Design Pro was the first site, created by the owners of Brilliant Directories. It was the site that started it all. A lot of was learned from it. One of the ideas at the time was to implement a blog system with the site, but this became as time and effort would have it, very difficult to not only implement, but also maintain. So the decision early on was to avoid having to implement a blog system with the BD system. Some of the common reasons from experience were:

• The need to edit multiple PHP and JS files in order for the blog to be implemented correctly
  • The problem with receiving blog updates (Like Wordpress auto update feature) would always break the code since it would overwrite several PHP files.
  • Updates to the Blog would change the CSS style.
  • The Blog system would many times take the full browser windows size, so users would loose access to, for example, the main menu (Header or footer of their BD site).
  • Securing and keeping up to date the users information between the Wordpress user format and the BD user format was time consuming.
  • Security issues related to Wordpress would add up with any BD security issues (So we would need 2x the amount of developers)
  • Wordpress had several times more security issues than BD (Mostly based on amount used, popularity), but still it could cripple a BD site and maybe make the owner loose valuable members.
  • Adding a custom theme, custom plugin or new feature to Wordpress could potentially make both, the BD system and WP blog incompatible.
  • The amount of time it took to stay on top of Wordpress and always make it work with the BD site, even after an update, a plugin changed, a theme changed, etc.. was about more than 50x bigger than the amount of time it was needed to maintain the BD site.

This are not the only problems found when trying to do a full integration between both systems, but this leaves a member and us with a thought on what to also take into consideration when trying to merge both systems together (Did not know how much time and effort was put into this until you asked this question and I started researching with the team).

My suggestion for right now can be found on this link.

This is a way of easing into it and giving members an alternative options, easy to maintain, update, change and implement without causing too much trouble, headaches and whatnot. There is also the Tumblr way.

I would of course love your feedback on this and any ideas for the future. Thanks friend.

Thanks Luis for your thorough explanation...who would have thought what looks like a simple blog could be so destructive!!!

I actually read somewhere else on here that others were simply just adding new pages as their "blog posts". Which at the end of the day would fill my own requirements. The only extra requirement I would need is to create a stream widget for all those pages. I hope that makes sense?

So basically what I am saying is....If I want to make a new "blog entry" I create a new web page. Then everytime I want to create a new "blog entry" I do the same thing, create a new web page. Simple enough!

Luis is it possible to create a streaming widget for these web pages so that I can replicate the look of the Interior Design Pro Blog Feed?.

Hope I've made sense?.

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren, I believe it is possible since there are a couple of Streaming widgets (Like the Streaming Articles widget). But I will give you full confirmation this week when am 100% sure about it and have tested it. in the meantime if you wish, you can search on the widget manager for all Streaming widgets and see which one can help you while I look for a possible solution (Maybe you will find it first, let's see who wins :) )

Thx Luis, based on my technical capabilities, I'd be betting on you.

If I was to use the streaming articles widget then I am guessing that would also include article that were creating by clients who made articles for their respective listings?.

Could there be a specific widget created for only pages made by admin for blog purposes only?.

Cheers

Darren

Hello Darren, let me get back to you on the general streaming pages and for the idea about a specific streaming admin one. Like an announcements about your site (promotions, site news, etc..) for your clients am guessing.

Yeah I guess so. I was thinking along the lines if someone clicked on the "Blog" tab in the main menu then they would be taken to that Blog page that had a list of all the pages created under the Blog.

One way could be by editing your Main Menu (Go to Toolbox -> Menu Manager and then select your Main Menu) and then proceed on adding an additional Option there called "Blog". Then point the link to your site / articles. For example mysite.com/articles. This would land anyone clicking on it to the articles page and show all articles made by your members.

Would this work?

Sorry Luis I haven't explained myself correctly. The actual sites blog would have articles created by myself and have to do with specific things t do with the town in which I live.

The actual articles that are created by businesses who list on my directory I would want to be kept seperate from those that I personally create/write.

I have already created an option for "Blog" in my main menu. This is where I would want my articles/posts/pages to show up.

Hope I've made more sense this time?. :)

Hi Darren, 

Thank you for being more specific. There is an easy way to have articles posted by only you as an owner and you don't need to use a third-party (Tumblr).

You can copy your articles feature and have a new articles page separate for the other one. 

If you want to implement something like this, please let me know and I'll be more than happy to explain you how to do it. 

Thanks! :) 

Hey Luana, sorry for not being more specific....funny my wife and kids say the same thing!!! lol

If you could guide/explain (in simple to follow steps :) ) that would be fantastic and much appreciated.

Cheers

Darren 

Hi Darren, 

That is really funny, my boyfriend tell me the same thing! LOL 

Please follow these steps: 

1. Go to the admin and click on  Members >> Membership Features

2. Find the "Articles" feature and click on "Copy"

3. Then click on "Membership Features" again (That will refresh the page) and you'll have the copied feature at the top, please click on "Edit".

4. Change theses fields:

* Feature Name: Type new name here. For example: New Articles

* Type of Data: Blog post (Version 2 of Articles)

* URL Permalink: Ex: new_articles

Scroll down and find the title: "Member Profile Page Settings" 

*Tab name: Ex: New Articles

Scrolling down you'll see the title: "Search Results Settings"  

*Default H1: Ex: New Articles

*Tab Name: Ex: New Articles

Then click on "Save Changes".

5. You need to create a new Membership Level (Only you as administrator will have access to the new Membership Level).

Please go to Members >> Membership Levels >> Add Membership Level

Then fill the fields with the new information.

For example: 

*Membership Name: Ex: Admin

* Requires Payment: Free

* Listing Searchable: Yes

When you're in the "Select and limit features for this membership level" section, please "check" the option "New Articles" (Feature that we just created) and click on "Save Membership Settings"

6. Go to Members and create a new Member with your information or if you already had a member please click on "Edit" and modify the Membership Level (you need to select the new one). 

Now only you will have the option to publish articles on that feature.

7. If you go to this url yoursite/new_articles same as the (URL Permalink: Ex: new_articles) you used in the new feature options. 

Hope this information helps! :)

Please let me know if you have any question. We are always happy to help!