Start a new topic
Answered

Allowing PNG for Profile Pictures

My directory is for photographers and most of them have PNG profile pics which they can't upload because only JPG profile pictures are allowed there. Can something be done to allow PNG files there?

Best Answer

Last week the dev team finalized the support for PNG and GIF. Additionally they added support for it on the crop / resize system. Just in case anyone wants to know what the different between png and jpg are, I will simplify it with this:

JPG

• Smaller and can be compressed even more but will eventually loose quality.
  • Does not support alpha channel (Transparency)
  • Does not support multiple layers

PNG
  • Tends to be a bit bigger than JPG but can be optimized to make it smaller without compromising quality a lot.
  • Support Alpha channel (Transparency) which offers many nice things when showing the image on top of another or even as a Logo or background.
  • Supports multiple layers.
  • Offers better edition for cameras, smartphones and even simple editors on the PC

If am sharing an image through my phone, it will typically be JPG unless I care about quality, which then be PNG.

2 people have this question

Hello Team?

I am having this issue also and would like to have a resolution for my customers.

Me three.  I love jpg, it is most common for camera output, but PNG is becoming a normal format for those who use photoshop to modify photos.  When a member has an outsourcer do their photos, a lot of them come back as PNG format.

Me four... so I created the following link ^^ Please vote for it like there is no tomorrow:

http://support.brilliantdirectories.com/discussions/topics/5000041376

Thank you Luis. Voted on Yess

Answer

Last week the dev team finalized the support for PNG and GIF. Additionally they added support for it on the crop / resize system. Just in case anyone wants to know what the different between png and jpg are, I will simplify it with this:

JPG

• Smaller and can be compressed even more but will eventually loose quality.
  • Does not support alpha channel (Transparency)
  • Does not support multiple layers

PNG
  • Tends to be a bit bigger than JPG but can be optimized to make it smaller without compromising quality a lot.
  • Support Alpha channel (Transparency) which offers many nice things when showing the image on top of another or even as a Logo or background.
  • Supports multiple layers.
  • Offers better edition for cameras, smartphones and even simple editors on the PC

If am sharing an image through my phone, it will typically be JPG unless I care about quality, which then be PNG.