Start a new topic
Answered

Add Custom Domain Name

How do we add a custom domain name if members want one?

E,g,. www.directory.com/plumberjoes-profile to www.plumberjoe.com

You can do this with CMS's like wix, wordpress.com etc where it gives you the ability to upgrade and add your own custom domain name but the site still sits on the host company.

Do we just mask forward their domain name or is there a better way of doing this?

Would be great to have this as a feature for members.

Best Answer

Hi Primoz, 

We apologize for the late response. 

You can send us a ticket with your questions and issues on this link

Feel free to ask any question in the Community. We're always happy to help. 

To put your site on your live domain, it is a 2 step process: 

Edit the setting of your domain with your domain registrar (Godaddy, NameCheap, etc).  See STEP 1 below for instructions on how to do this.Submit a ticket and let us know that you have pointed your domain to our servers so we can complete the setup of your live domain.  Here is an example of how to submit this ticket:

STEP 1

Option 1: Point your Nameservers (preferred method)

Log in to your account with your domain registrar (godaddy, or wherever you purchased your domain)Change the nameservers to the following:

ns1.directorysecure.comns2.directorysecure.com 

NOTE: If you have any email addresses currently set up and receiving email at this domain name, please let us know the MX records settings of your email provider (assuming you want to keep using the same provider) so we can make the appropriate adjustments to insure your email is routed properly. If you want to start using us as your email provider, also please let us know so we can pass on the setup information for your email accounts.

Example: How to point nameservers with Godaddy

To point the nameservers of your GoDaddy domain to Brilliant Directories, please do the following:

Log in to your Account Manager on Godaddy.comNext to Domains, click LaunchSelect the domain name(s) you want to modifyFrom the Nameservers menu, select Set NameserversUnder Setup type, select CustomSelect Add NameserversEnter the two nameservers your hosting provider gave you:

ns1.directorysecure.com & ns2.directorysecure.com

If you are having any issues getting this done, you can call their 24/7 support line at: (480) 505-8877.

Option 2: Change the A record of your domain or subdomain in your DNS settings (alternative method)

Submit a ticket asking which IP address you should point your A record to.Once you have this information from our support team, log in to your account with your domain registrar (godaddy, etc)Change the A record of your domain (or your subdomain if the directory is going to be on a subdomain of your existing site) the IP address provided by our staff.
The Brilliant Directories team will update the server settings so your site displays on your live domain 

NOTE: If you choose to use this method, your current email addresses will continue to function as they do now through their current setup. This is often a good option if you have an existing site and the current email accounts must not see any interruption in service whatsoever.

Example: How to edit A records in Godaddy

Log in to your Account Manager.Next to Domains, click Launch.From the DNS menu, select DNS Manager, and then click Edit Zone for the domain name you want to update.In the A (Host) section, click the A record you want to edit.Edit any of the following fields:

Host — Enter the host name the A record links to. Type @ to map the record directly to your domain name, including the www.Points to — Enter the IP address your domain name uses for this host record.TTL — Select how long the server should cache the information.Click Save Zone File, and then click OK. STEP 2

Submit a ticket and let us know that you have pointed your domain to our servers so we can complete the setup of your live domain.

Please let me know if you have any question.

Thanks! :) 

1 person has this question

Hi Tai, 

Thank you for your message. Our Software don't have that option available. However you can add this idea in our community Wishlist. We are always always happy to listen our Partners great ideas. 

I've seen other BD users doing it for their members. Just wanting to know how they did it, as I have "Add a Custom Domain Name" as part of the features for my premium members.

I'm "happy" to do it manually for now, just wanted to see how others are doing it and what they recommend. If you have any ideas, that would be great if you could let me know?

Hi Tai, 

I do it manually for my members. I go to "Members" and then click on "Edit" and find the title "Custom Members SEO Settings" and then I change it in the option "Member Profile URL". 

I will also ask this question in our Community Meeting to see if our Developers have other way to do it.

Not sure if we are on the same page here.

Here's an example from a fellow BD member.

Here is the default profile url:
http://ibefound.com/new-zealand/rapaura/hospitality/pataka-the-foodstore

And here is the custom domain name added:
http://pakathefoodstore.co.nz/

Same BD platform but the second one has a custom domain name.

Hi Tai, pleasure to meet you friend. Do you have another example sin http://pakathefoodstore.co.nz/

for me is currently down, so I cannot see a full example. I am guessing you mean that if the user goes http://ibefound.com/new-zealand/rapaura/hospitality/pataka-the-foodstore he/she would end up in http://pakathefoodstore.co.nz/

If this is correct then my question is:

1. What happens to the actual content in http://ibefound.com/new-zealand/rapaura/hospitality/pataka-the-foodstore Does it show on the new site (static information)

2. Does the new site simply get a redirect request from the old site

Thanks Tai and will be waiting for your feedback so I can help you better.

Hi Luis,

Same content different URL. My guess is that the custom domain was masked forwarded to the the BD profile page.

If they go to the BD profile, they will see BD profile page. If they go the custom domain name, it serves the BD profile page with the custom domain in the URL.

BD profile URL:

Custom URL (same everything but different URL):

Thanks Tai, got it. I still can't see the site but with the screenshots it's beautiful. So my suggestion would be the same thing you mentioned. For the custom domain, redirect with mask to the url you wanted it to be. It would give the same result, but I know you already knew this hehe. But yeah, as you mentioned, that would be the way to go.

Hi guys! I've recently purchased my BD and also wondering how it's possible but not sure if I understand by reading your messages. I also want to change the URL into my own

Answer

Hi Primoz, 

We apologize for the late response. 

You can send us a ticket with your questions and issues on this link

Feel free to ask any question in the Community. We're always happy to help. 

To put your site on your live domain, it is a 2 step process: 

Edit the setting of your domain with your domain registrar (Godaddy, NameCheap, etc).  See STEP 1 below for instructions on how to do this.Submit a ticket and let us know that you have pointed your domain to our servers so we can complete the setup of your live domain.  Here is an example of how to submit this ticket:

STEP 1

Option 1: Point your Nameservers (preferred method)

Log in to your account with your domain registrar (godaddy, or wherever you purchased your domain)Change the nameservers to the following:

ns1.directorysecure.comns2.directorysecure.com 

NOTE: If you have any email addresses currently set up and receiving email at this domain name, please let us know the MX records settings of your email provider (assuming you want to keep using the same provider) so we can make the appropriate adjustments to insure your email is routed properly. If you want to start using us as your email provider, also please let us know so we can pass on the setup information for your email accounts.

Example: How to point nameservers with Godaddy

To point the nameservers of your GoDaddy domain to Brilliant Directories, please do the following:

Log in to your Account Manager on Godaddy.comNext to Domains, click LaunchSelect the domain name(s) you want to modifyFrom the Nameservers menu, select Set NameserversUnder Setup type, select CustomSelect Add NameserversEnter the two nameservers your hosting provider gave you:

ns1.directorysecure.com & ns2.directorysecure.com

If you are having any issues getting this done, you can call their 24/7 support line at: (480) 505-8877.

Option 2: Change the A record of your domain or subdomain in your DNS settings (alternative method)

Submit a ticket asking which IP address you should point your A record to.Once you have this information from our support team, log in to your account with your domain registrar (godaddy, etc)Change the A record of your domain (or your subdomain if the directory is going to be on a subdomain of your existing site) the IP address provided by our staff.
The Brilliant Directories team will update the server settings so your site displays on your live domain 

NOTE: If you choose to use this method, your current email addresses will continue to function as they do now through their current setup. This is often a good option if you have an existing site and the current email accounts must not see any interruption in service whatsoever.

Example: How to edit A records in Godaddy

Log in to your Account Manager.Next to Domains, click Launch.From the DNS menu, select DNS Manager, and then click Edit Zone for the domain name you want to update.In the A (Host) section, click the A record you want to edit.Edit any of the following fields:

Host — Enter the host name the A record links to. Type @ to map the record directly to your domain name, including the www.Points to — Enter the IP address your domain name uses for this host record.TTL — Select how long the server should cache the information.Click Save Zone File, and then click OK. STEP 2

Submit a ticket and let us know that you have pointed your domain to our servers so we can complete the setup of your live domain.

Please let me know if you have any question.

1 person likes this